Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 4

After a busy and productive day of fighting the evil forces of health insurance companies and educating prescribers about the prior authorization process, I headed over to Carrboro Yoga Company to try out Sage Rountree's Yoga for Athletes class.  (I opted out of Yoga Journal's Day 4 Standing Poses sequence because I felt like taking a class today instead of practicing at home.)  I've tried most of the classes at CYCo., but I've avoided this one for a full two years because of the word "athletes".  But, I'd heard great things about Sage's teaching style (and we're Twitter buddies, after all), so I thought I'd give it a shot.  Apparently, the class is "for athletes" because it focuses on athletes' typical problem areas like the hips and hamstrings.  If it were a very athletic class, I guess it would be called Athletic Yoga (or Ashtanga!).  Sage began class with a quick yoga philosophy lesson on one of the five yamas (satya, or truthfulness) and some nice spine stretches, followed by a mandala vinyasa sequence.  After a little gentle back-bending, we moved over to the wall for a hip-opening sequence which brought much-needed attention (for me, anyway) to proper alignment for forward folds.  I realized that I use the flexibility of my hamstrings to make my forward folds happen, but need to balance that with better back alignment.
Now, laundry followed by Grey's Anatomy and a piece of pie...

No comments:

Post a Comment