Sunday, May 1, 2011

spring!

The first time I ever visited Chapel Hill and Carrboro was in April of 2007 with my beautiful mother Alexis, about a year before I moved here.  The Carolina blue sky, balmy temperatures, and wealth of good food and places to practice yoga won me over immediately.  A job at UNC and a perfect living situation in Hillsborough with my friend Charna sealed the deal--I was moving here.  I arrived at Charna's beautiful home on April 20, 2008, after midnight, exhausted and exhilarated.  A lot has happened over the past three years, but moving to North Carolina was the best decision I've ever made.
April is still the most beautiful month in the Piedmont region of North Carolina.  Everything is bursting with spring energy!
It's been a fantastic couple of weeks:

Yoga teacher training is going fabulously well.  I am learning about yoga poses, but I am learning so much more about myself.  Big thanks to Allison Dennis at Open Heart for guiding me and my thirteen classmates through this transformative journey.  So much love to Allison, Ti Harmony, and Open Heart!!  Speaking of Ti, I am taking a Mantra and Kirtan class with him for the next few weeks. (I didn't have enough to do--ha!)  I'm finding that, of all the yoga practices, chanting is the most powerful for me.  It focuses my mind and just generally brings good vibes all around.  John is an amazing musician, and he and his friend played guitar and keys while we chanted the Gayatri mantra together at our house for two hours the other night.  Bliss!  John's friend even called us last night, asking us if we wanted to chant again.

    Dad, me, and Mom at Weaver Street
    Michael, me, Mom at the Siena
    My parents, Alexis and Don, visited from Baltimore over Easter weekend, and we had a splendid time.  They stayed at my favorite hotel in Chapel Hill, the spectacular Siena Hotel, where we had  Easter Sunday breakfast and fellowship with my brother Michael (who I'm blessed to have living right around the corner from me in Carrboro these days), John's super cool parents Mary Jane and Clem, John's gorgeous and kind sister Jordan and brother-in-law Joe, and Jordan and Joe's beautiful children Kensie and Oliver.  After breakfast, we attended Sunday service at Grace Church, the Ferris family's church, and heard a great message about mercy.  I have to say that even though I've had mixed feelings about Christianity and church in the past, I love Grace!  Later that day, the Mark family and John ate a big Easter feast at The Washington Duke Inn's Fairview Dining Room.  I had the opportunity to take my Dad to Johnny's, my favorite Carrboro community gathering spot, for a quick beverage and a chat at a picnic table.  On Saturday night, Michael, Dad and I ate a huge feast at Vimala's.  The Mark family LOVES to eat, obviously.   
    feast at Vimala's!
    More to come soon, including updates on the little garden John and I have started in our backyard with the help of his Mom, MJ.
    Little baby squash plant from our new garden.


      No comments:

      Post a Comment